Tweet of the Week
— John Stewart (@jstew511) May 19, 2016
– On Wednesday, I put up a post about a Google Spreadsheet that I’ve built called Hypothes.is Collector. The basic idea is that you can use the Google sheet to search through the annotations made using the Hypothes.is web annotation tool. You can enter various search terms like user name or url or tag or pull all annotations by a group. The system will create a google sheet with up to 200 annotations (working to increase this right now), and create a table that counts the number of annotations by user across various urls. This last piece was the initial reason for the project. I wanted to build a tool that allowed instructors to quickly see the activity of their students in a group. It could similarly be used by a research group or anyone else. Both the sheet and the code are open, so please read the blog post or check out the sheet itself.
– This week has been quiet. I’ve been working with Keegan Long Wheeler on our GOBLIN project, and I’m meeting today with Lauren Horn Griffin to finalize plans for a workshop we’re doing next week on using Hypothes.is in the classroom.
– The OU Spring semester ended on Sunday, so I spent all of Monday and Tuesday calculating and entering grades and working with students to find those missing assignments that meant the difference between a C and a B. Hitting submit on Tuesday provided a definite sense of closure on the semester.
– There was supposed to be an 8-week summer version of one of the courses that I facilitate kicking off this week. However, we had to cancel it due to low enrollment. The online course is heavily discussion based and we didn’t think the handful of students enrolled would have a good experience in the course. As late as last week I was reviewing the course contents making sure the materials were all properly titled and tagged in our LMS and fixing several broken image and web links. Thursday I found out that the course was being cancelled. Rather than finishing my review of the last couple of units, I talked to the professor and then contacted the students. I then contacted the registrar’s office, our LMS support people, the office that helps concurrent enrollment students, the TAs, etc. Working with a professor to design a class is an extended process, and I had lost track of how many people were involved. Cancelling the class required that I email or call all of these people in a couple of hours. This week I’ve been finishing the clean up and helping to either get students refunds or move into the June or Fall versions of the class. Next week, I’ll do the QA on the June class and start back into the course management cycle anew.
OU Create Maintenance
– Minor upkeep helping students activate new accounts and helping faculty transition from their old html only sites into their new LAMP domains.
Reading and Viewing and Gaming
– I have been painting (enamel + polycrylic) my kitchen cabinets all week, and it looks like I’ll be working on them for at least another week. Before and after pictures to come.